Interviewing a Navvy


The Sydney Morning Herald Tuesday 21 January 1902 p.6

INTERVIEWING A NAVVY.    
I have interviewed men and women in most
stations of life (writes a clever pressman), but so far
I had not bearded the railway navvy who has under
his special care the three thousand miles of shining
rails that branch out from Sydney to the far interior.
But a very fine type of man I found him. Sturdy
and strong straight-spoken and not without
education. He was working on the line at Murrum-
burrah, a township twenty miles from Young, and
his name is Thomas Cushion. Asked about his work,  
he said :—
" For the past twenty years I have been employed
on the N.S.W. railways, so I know something of the  
hardships of the life "
" Judging by vour appearance " said the inter-
viewer glancing at the bright bronzed face before
him, " one wouldn't think that the hardships
troubled you much"
" They don't now but they did once " was the
reply. " for some time ago, owing to the hard work
and plain living my blood became impure and thin.
Indigestion troubled me considerably my skin be-
came covered with scales and then ulcers broke out
on my legs and thighs cuusing intense burning pains.
Itching piles also gave me great agony. Owing to
these ailments I had to leave work frequently for
the friction ot my clothes on my skin caused almost
unbeatable pain. I could not sleep at night and my
existence in the hot weather was very miserable. I
tried a lot ot supposed remedies without being cured
and then I was told that Dr Williams' pink pills
were the best blood purifier in the world so I bought
a few boxes and began taking their contents ...

                                                 ...Sold by chemists
and storekeepers, and by the Dr Willims' Medicine
Co Queen's place, Sydney, two and nine per box,
six boxes fifteen and three, post free, write, de-
scribing your case, and receive free of charge a
valuable letter of instructions.–Advt.

No comments: